President Donald Trump declared intentions to “permanently pause migration” from countries he described as “third world,” citing what he characterized as an excessive refugee burden on the United States.
The announcement came via social media following Wednesday’s fatal shooting in Washington DC that claimed the life of a National Guard member. An Afghan national faces blame for the attack, though authorities have not disclosed a motive.
Trump did not specify which countries would fall under the proposed migration pause or provide implementation timelines. Legal experts suggest such a policy would likely face court challenges, and United Nations agencies have already expressed concerns about compliance with international refugee agreements.
The president’s statement represents a continuation of immigration restrictions enacted during his current term. His administration has pursued mass deportations of individuals who entered the country without authorization, reduced annual refugee admission quotas, and proposed ending birthright citizenship for children born on U.S. territory.
In his social media post, which Trump framed as a “Happy Thanksgiving salutation,” the president blamed refugees for what he termed “social dysfunction in America.” He pledged to remove “anyone who is not a net asset” to the country.
The post included specific criticism of Minnesota, where Trump claimed “hundreds of thousands of refugees from Somalia were completely taking over the once great State.” He particularly targeted the state’s Democratic lawmakers in his remarks.
“I will permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries to allow the U.S. system to fully recover,” Trump wrote, using terminology historically applied to poorer, developing nations.
Neither the White House nor U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services have provided additional details about how such a policy would be implemented or which countries would be affected. Trump did not directly connect the proposal to Wednesday’s shooting in his post.
The administration previously imposed travel restrictions on Afghan nationals along with citizens from 11 other countries, primarily in Africa and Asia. A similar ban targeting several majority-Muslim nations was enacted during Trump’s first presidency.
The United Nations responded by urging the United States to honor international commitments regarding asylum seekers. “We expect all countries, including the United States, to honour their commitments under the 1953 Refugee Convention,” the deputy spokesperson for the UN secretary general said.
Jeremy McKinney, president of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, characterized Trump’s response as “scapegoating” of migrants. Speaking before Trump’s latest comments, McKinney noted that authorities had not determined the shooter’s motive.
“These types of issues don’t know skin colour, they don’t know nationality,” McKinney said. “When a person becomes radicalised or is suffering some type of mental illness, that person can come from any background.”
The suspect in Wednesday’s shooting, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, arrived in the United States in 2021 through a program offering special immigration protections to Afghans who worked alongside U.S. forces following the American withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Lakanwal previously worked with the CIA, according to the agency’s current director. A former military commander who served alongside him told reporters that Lakanwal helped guard U.S. forces at Kabul airport as thousands attempted to escape before the Taliban took control.
The father of five had been recruited to Unit 03 of the Kandahar Strike Force nine years before his arrival in the United States. His unit, known locally as Scorpion Forces, operated initially under CIA direction before transitioning to Afghanistan’s National Directorate of Security.
Lakanwal specialized in GPS tracking, according to the former commander, who described him as having a “sporty and jolly character.” A childhood friend indicated that Lakanwal experienced mental health difficulties following his military work.
U.S. officials would have vetted Lakanwal both when he began working with the CIA and again when he traveled to the United States, according to a senior official. Lakanwal applied for asylum in 2024, receiving approval earlier this year after Trump returned to office. His green card application, tied to the asylum grant, remains pending according to a Homeland Security official.
Authorities arrested Lakanwal following the attack. He has reportedly declined to cooperate with investigators. Trump characterized the incident as an “act of terror.”
The victim, 20-year-old Sarah Beckstrom from West Virginia, was serving in Washington DC as part of Trump’s deployment of National Guard members to address urban crime. She had volunteered to work during the Thanksgiving holiday, according to Attorney General Pam Bondi.
A second National Guard member, 24-year-old Andrew Wolfe, suffered injuries in the shooting. Trump said Wolfe was “fighting for his life” in a statement the day after the attack.
The incident has reignited debates about refugee vetting procedures and the balance between humanitarian obligations and security concerns. Immigration advocates argue that the vast majority of refugees and asylum seekers pose no threat and successfully integrate into American communities.



