The families of six of the nine people killed in last week’s avalanche near Castle Peak have identified their loved ones and released a statement expressing profound grief.
The avalanche struck Feb. 17 near Castle Peak, northwest of Lake Tahoe, claiming nine lives in one of the region’s deadliest backcountry incidents in recent years. In a joint statement Thursday, the families said they are devastated beyond words and are focusing on supporting their children and honoring the women who died.
“They were all mothers, wives and friends,” the statement read. “They connected through a shared love of the outdoors and were passionate, skilled skiers who cherished time together in the mountains.”

The six women identified are Carrie Atkin, Liz Clabaugh, Danielle Keatley, Kate Morse, Caroline Sekar, and Kate Vitt. The women lived in the Bay Area, Idaho, and the Truckee-Tahoe region.
According to the statement, eight close friends had planned a professionally guided, two-night backcountry hut trip to Frog Lake Huts outside Truckee. The families described the group as experienced backcountry skiers who respected the mountains, were trained and prepared for backcountry travel, and were fully equipped with avalanche safety gear. They said the women trusted their professional guides on the trip.
The statement also expressed gratitude for the extensive rescue efforts carried out by Nevada County Search and Rescue, Tahoe Nordic Search and Rescue, and other responding agencies. The families asked for privacy as they grieve. Authorities have not yet released the names of the remaining three victims. The investigation into the avalanche remains ongoing.



